History of Hampstead
All About Hamstead
Hampstead was once called Hamstead, which means a homestead. The town began as a Saxon village. Like many other towns in England, Hampstead was not a busy town, with many of its residents practising farming and animal grazing.
As people fled the fire of 1666 and the plague of 1665, in the late 17th century, the wealthy immigrants invested in Hampstead and the local village started growing. The affluent investors wanted a town far away from the city's dirt and away from town noises. Being close to the amenities of London, Hampstead was the perfect town for them.
Fenton House, named after a renowned business merchant in the 18th-century by the name Philip Fenton, was built in 1963.
After a doctor named Gibbons found out that water from the spring in Hampstead had healing properties in the 18th century, Hampstead became a spa town. Several grand houses were developed in Hampstead as a result of the spa.
Hatches Bottom was a marsh that Hampstead contained in the early 18th century.
Residents drained the marsh in the year 1770. In the year 1800, the swamp was rebuilt and renamed the Vale of Health.
During the 18th century, Hampstead grew drastically as more and more investors from London moved to Hampstead. The population of Hampstead by the year 1801 was more than 3,343. Compared to other towns during that era, that was a large population. Other provincial markets were much smaller than Hampstead. Oil lamps were used to light Hampstead town from 1774, but from 1824, Hampstead town was lit by gas lamps.
Hampstead built the first commuter railway system in 1852, which saw the rate at which Hampstead town developed increase during the 19th century. The commuter rail system eased the commuter burden of Londoners who lived in Hampstead and wanted to travel to London. The growth lead Hampstead to be a wealthy suburb of London in the late 19th century even though other residents of Hampstead were still living below poverty levels.
Hampstead also had the privilege to be the home town of prolific writers such as Keats, who lived in Wentworth Place from 1795-1821. The Wentworth Place was later renamed the Keats House. One of Keat's famous poems was the Ode to a Nightingale, which he wrote while at the back yard of his home.
D.H Lawrence then moved to 1 Byron Villas in 1915. The villa was located in the Vale of Health. Another famous writer named Katherine Mansfield resided at 17 East Heath Road from 1888 to 1923. At 40 Well Walk, there lived a renowned artist by the name of John Constable. He lived there from the year 1776 to the year 1837. The writer of The Forsyte Saga, John Galsworthy, also resided in Hampstead.
Londoners found a playground in Hampstead Heath during the 19th century. For the sake of its good to the public, the garden had to be preserved. The Metropolitan Board of Works got the privilege to purchase Hampstead Heath in 1871, and they transformed it into a public park. In the year 1889, Hampstead was added among the counties of London, and later on, after 1907, Hampstead Suburb was developed. Sigmund Freud, who had been living in Hampstead since 1938, died in 1939 and his home was later on converted into a museum.
Hampstead! The Wealthy Suburb of London!
If you need any help with central heating problems check out